Sometimes I’ll purposely let bananas go brown just as an excuse to make some banana bread. I think the fruit flies enjoy my secret habit just as much as I do!
Though delicious, banana bread is typically full of added sugar and white flour. I wanted something I could feel a little better about eating for breakfasts or snacks this week, so I combined a few favorite recipes to give you this delicious marbled bread option. The good news is this cocoa-y, nutty flavored bread doesn’t taste as healthy as it truly is!
Whole Wheat Marbled Banana Bread
About 3 large, ripe bananas
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
1 & 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×5 pan with coconut oil or grease with oil/butter and set aside.
- Mash bananas in a medium sized bowl. Add applesauce, maple syrup, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
- In a small bowl, add cocoa powder. Scoop 1/4 cup of banana mixture into cocoa powder and whisk to combine.
- In a larger bowl, whisk flour, flaxseed, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Pour remaining banana mixture into large bowl and whisk until just combined.
- Pour the large bowl of banana batter into greased 9×5 pan.
- Add cocoa batter to top of the banana batter. Use a knife to swirl the batters together.
- Bake for 25 minutes uncovered. Cover pan with foil and bake for an additional 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out cleanly.
A few recipe notes…
- The riper your bananas, the sweeter the recipe will be! Overall, this bread is not very sweet – which leaves room for delicious toppings like honey or nut butter. If you’d like a sweeter bread, add 1/4 cup brown sugar to your wet ingredients.
- Try layering the batters (1/2 banana, cocoa, 1/2 banana) for a pretty layered version.
- Add-ins are always welcome! Try walnuts, shredded coconut, or (my personal favorite) mini chocolate chips. Add your add-ins to the dry mixture prior to combining.